Friday 10 May 2013

Plantain Flower Vada

Vazhapoo Vadai or Pakoras (Plantain Flower Pakoras)

This is the recipe that I have learnt from my mom.I used to ask her to make it very often before I got married without understanding the efforts to be put it to make this.

Vazhapoo is a healthy vegetable and I think this is a excellent way of adding it to my food.

To do this dish, we need to plan well in advance as cleaning the flower is a laborious process.

I plan to post a step by step post on how to clean and store Plantain Flower the night before as we can make the Vadai in a jiffy.

Ok, now to the recipe:



Ingredients:

Plantain Flower -1/2 cup (Finely Chopped and steamed)
Gram Dhall - 3/4 to 1 cup (Soaked for 3-4 Hours)
Onion - Finely chopped
Green Chillies - FInely Chopped
Hing - A pinch
Oil - To fry
Salt - to Taste

Method:

Grind the gram dhall coarsely. Run the steamed flower for a second and add it to the grinded dhall. To this add chopped onions,chopped Green chillies and hing and salt and mix well.

Heat oil in a pan and make the mixture into vada/dumplings and deep fry.

They taste excellent as a snack or can be served with rice and Rasam.

I don't prefer this with rice and Sambhar as it becomes too much of Dhall for a day.

Note:
  • I have also noticed some of add Saunf to this, I don't use it in my cooking at all as I don't like the taste.
  • You can skip the step of steaming and grinding the flower if you can finely chop the plantain flower.
  • The plantain flower leaves a black stain on the chopping board, so I keep a separate chopping board for that.
  • You can also add Red chillies instead of Green chillies and they bring a different flavour and taste to the dish.
  • If you are using red chillies, grind it along with the Dhall. 







0 comments:

Post a Comment