Friday 24 May 2013

Rajma Masala

Rajma Masala

This dish is mom's favorite and my hubby is crazy about this dish. My mom always had issues with the Rajma we got it chennai. It used to take life time to make the Rajma cook.

My MIL will bring me lot of stuffs every time she visits me. Everything she brings is organically grown by FIL in his land. Once when I opened the bag I found the Rajma. I was depressed as I was worried it would take lot of my time to boil it. On the contrary, the Rajma which my MIL got cooked so fast and it was yummy.

After that I learnt the trick to chose the Rajma. I have also posted the picture of the Rajma so you can buy the right Rajma.

So, it is part of the things she gets me when she visits me and also a part of my food every week.

I have tried different methods to cook this Rajma and at last found a way in which the Rajma absorbs the masala.



Ingredients

Rajma - 1 cup (Soaked overnight or 12 hours)
Onion - 1 (Large - roughly chopped)
Tomato - 1 (Medium - roughly chopped)
Ginger Garlic taste - 1/2 Teaspoon
Chilly Powder - 1 Tablespoon
Coriander Powder - 1 Tablespoon
Garam Masala - a pinch
Rajma Masala - 1 Tablespoon (Readily available in the market)
Curd - 1 Teaspoon (Optional)
oil
Salt

Method

Pour enough water in a pressure cooker and add the washed Rajma and cook it for 6 whistles and allow it to release pressure on its own.

Meanwhile prepare the masala for the Rajma.

In a Kadai, heat oil and add the onion and saute till cooked and then add the tomato and saute for a minute.

Then add the ginger garlic taste and all the masala powder and saute for 2 minutes. Add a cup of water to the sauted masala and cook it covered for 5 minutes or till the raw smell is gone.

Then cool this mixture and blend it in a blender.

Now take a cooker, add very little oil and add the blended masala and cook for a minute. To this add the cooked rajma and saute for 5 minutes.

Then close the lid of pressure cooker and put the whistle on. Cook for 1 whistle and then switch off the flame. Cooking the Rajma and masala together ensures that the masala is absord=bed by the Rajma.

After the pressure is gone, add freshly chopped coriander and whipped curd and serve.

I have made the Rajma masala little watery as I plan to have it with Rice. You can make it thicker if you are going to have it with Roti.





0 comments:

Post a Comment