Friday 15 November 2013

Red Velvet Cake - Egg-less and with Natural colour

Red Velvet Cake - Egg-less and with Natural colour

I have heard so much about Red velvet cake and always wanted to try it. However, I am not a huge fan of using food colour so was wanting to use natural ingredients to get the colour.

So when I was browsing through I found some recipes where they had used Beetroot Puree to get the natural color. I was very skeptical about using beetroot, but believe me it was heavenly. Everyone at house loved it and I was asked to make it again.

I did not have a muffin mould so I baked it as a cake, if you have a muffin mould, you can see the color much better.When I ate it , I realized why it is called as the Velvet Cake. It is so soft and silky.




Ingredients

Brown Sugar - 3/4 Cup
Beetroot Puree - 1 Cup
Dark Chocolate - 60 grams
Maida /AFP - 1 Cup
Oil/Butter - 1/4 Cup
Baking Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Vanilla Essence - Few Drops

Method

Beetroot Puree: 

Peel the beetroot and add it in a cup of boiling water. Cook till it is completely done. Cool it room temperature. Then puree it in a blender to form a smooth puree with no lumps and use it.

Pre heat the oven at 180 Celsius.

Sieve Maida and baking powder together. Sieving will help in mixing the baking powder and Maida thoroughly.

In a mixing bowl, mix the oil and sugar till it is creamy. To this add the vanilla essence, Beet root puree and Melted Chocolate  (Melt chocolate using the double boiler method or microwave for 45 seconds) and mix well.

To this mix the sieved flour with baking powder. Do not beat it too much. Just mix it until the flour and the wet ingredients is combined.

Pour this into a greased and dusted cake pan and bake at 180 Celsius for 20 minutes. Each oven cooks differently so keep a close eye on the baking time.







0 comments:

Post a Comment