Saturday 17 May 2014

Diwali Sweet -Kaju Katli- Cashewnut Barfi

Kaju Katli

I had bought lots of dry fruits and nuts for making cakes and sweets. So I had stock of some cashew nuts so decided to make Katli. I have usually made only Cashew Badam Halwa using Microwave. However, my microwave is not working anymore so I had to use the stove top to make it. I browsed the internet and found the recipe here. 


Ingredients

Cashew nuts - 1 Cup (Levelled at Room Temperature)
Sugar - 1/2 Cup (Heaped)
Water- 1/4 Cup
Milk - 1 Tablespoon
Ghee - For Greasing
Silver Leaf- 1 (Optional)

Method

  • Grind the Cashew nuts in a mixer. Ensure that you grind it in one go or else the Oil from the cashew may ooze out and the Cashew  nut powder will be sticky.
  • Post grinding measure 1 cup of cashew nut powder.
  • Now place the sugar and water in a pan and cook till it reaches the right consistency. 
  • I would recommend that you do this simmer as we need to add the cashew nut powder as soon as the sugar syrup reached the right consistency. 
  • The right consistency of sugar syrup is when you drop the sugar syrup in a bowl of water it forms a fine thread and when you touch the Thread it does not dissolve.
  • When the sugar syrup reaches the right consistency add the cashew powder and stir it well and cook.
  • Cook it for a 3-4 minutes till the mixture starts to boil and become thick. The right consistency for this mixture is that the dough should be non sticky.
  • Switch off the flame and keep it stirring in the pan till it comes to a dough consistency.
  • While the Dough is slightly warm, place it on a counter top and start to Knead.
  • Grease your hand to help you with kneading.
  • Knead till it comes as a smooth soft dough.
  • Now roll the dough and cut into desired shapes.
  • Place the silver leaf of the Katli if you want. This was quite a task for me as it is my first time. 
Tips:
  • If your dough is too dry quite kneading you can use some Milk.
  • As we knead the mixture while it is warm, be careful , I was dabbing my hands with water to help me knead. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment