Sunday 2 November 2014

Apple Pie - With healthy Crust

Apple Pie - With healthy Crust

I am a big fan of apple based baking after my successful attempts at Apple Roulade and Apple Cake. So this time I decided bake the famous Apple Pie. I have already posted the healthy version of crust that can be made here. You can either do the same crust but I made some changes to it and added some Wheat, Oats and APF and made it.

When you eat this you realize why it is called as a classic dish. Serve it with some vanilla Ice Cream and it tastes yum. I had sprinkled some sugar on the top of the Pie that's why you see some brown caramel on top of the pie.





Ingredients

For the Pie Crust:
Wheat  Flour - 1 Cup
Oats Flour - 1/2 Cup (I just used quaker Oats)
APF or Maida - 1/2 Cup
Milk - 1/2 Cup
Salt - a Pinch
Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon


For the Pie Filling:
Apple - 2 (I used the Red ones, Peeled Cored and Sliced)
Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 teaspoon (I added more than 1/2 teaspoon as in my house they like apple-Cinnamon Combo)
Sugar - 2 - 3 Tablespoon (brown Sugar works best, as I did not have it I have used Regular Sugar)
Butter - 2-3 tablespoon
Wheat Flour - 2 Tablespoon (I used it to absorb moisture as I used Juicy apples, If you use Green apples you can skip this)

Method






  • Dry roast the Oats for couple of minutes and then grind it into a powder.
  • To this mix all the ingredients except milk and Oil
  • To this mixture, add butter and oil and rub it in till it looks like bread crumbs.
  • To this add milk little by little and knead it into a smooth dough
  • Cover it with a cling film and rest it in refrigerator for 15 minutes. You can skip this step, if you are pressed for time.
  • Divide the dough into 2 portions.
  • Now take a tart tin or Pie dish and slightly grease it with butter or oil
  • Take one portion of the Roll the prepared dough into big circle and place it on the Tart tin and cut off the extra edges.
  • Poke the Tart shell using a fork so the base is crispy.
  • Bake it for 10-15 minutes at 200C or it is golden brown. You can skip this step and Bake it along with the filling and the top sheet.
  • I do this as I like my Pie to be super crispy.
  • Meanwhile, take a mixing bowl and place the sliced apples, cinnamon powder, sugar,butter and wheat flour.
  • Place the prepared apple filling on prepared Pie/tart (Baked or not baled - It does not matter)
  • Now take the another portion of the prepared dough and using a rolling pin roll it into a circle.
  • Place this on top of the Pie and cut the extra frills.
  • Using a sharp knife make a cross of top of the pie.
  • I brushed some butter on top and I sprinkled some sugar on top of it for the caramely effect. 
  • You can sprinkle some sugar or not.
  • Now bake this in a pre -heated Oven at  180c for 50-60 minutes.
  •  

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment