Monday 19 January 2015

Barnyard Millet Upma (with Tamarind)/ Kuthiraivali Puli Upma

Barnyard Millet Upma (with Tamarind)/ Kuthiraivali Puli Upma

Millets is the New rage. I dont know for whatsoever reason I was not confiedent of cooking with them. My mom makes it a lot and love the taste if them. So this time I asked my hubby to buy a pack of Millets so I could try. It was so easy , I couldn't make out why I was so skeptical about cooking with them. I will post more Millet recipes soon. You can also make this Upma using Vegetables and without Tamarind also.



Ingredients

Barnyard Millet - 1 Cup (Washed and kept aside)
Water - 3 Cups
Oil - 2 Tablespoon
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
Groundnuts/Peanuts - 2 Tablespoon
Gram Dal - 1 Tablespoon
Salt - To taste
Hing or Asafoetida - A generous Pinch
Tamarind extract  - Goose Berry Sized (Soaked using 1 cup of water from the 3 cups of water given above )
Dry Red Chillies - 5 (Broken)

Method
  • Place the pressure cooker on stove with 2 tablespoons of Oil.
  • Once the Oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter and immediatley add the Gram dal, Peanuts and saute them.
  • Now add the Red Dry chillies and Asafoetida and saute
  • To this add the Tamrind extarct and the 2 cups of water and allow them to boil.
  • To this add the washed Barnyard Millet and stir and add salt.
  • Cover the Pressure cooker lid with the whistke and cook for 1 whiste on low flame.
Note:
  • I made the whole recipe of Low flame. If you plan to cook on high flame, keep a close eyes or else the Dal, groundut may get burnt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment